Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Office Audiophile


Up in my faculty office, I could pretty much play the music as loud as I wanted. The offices to my immediate left and right were often empty; the hallway quieted down in the afternoon, and it was rare when I wanted to play the tunes louder than I felt was acceptable.

Down in the administrative wing, things are a little different. My neighbors have been really cool. But I don't want to bother them or become a nuisance. The cartoon above is funny--it even has my little green lamp!

My current office tune setup:
  • Gateway office computer with crappy soundcard
  • Headroom Total BitHead D/A converter (bypassed crappy soundcard)
  • Denon PMA-300V integrated amplifier
  • Baby Advent II bookshelf speakers
  • Alessandro/Grado MS-1 headphones
Sounds pretty good. Wouldn't want anything better because you can't really enjoy it (and, who knows, it might get stolen or something). The amp and speakers were eBay specials.

The source of the cartoon above is Jerry King.

No comments: