Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Erik Satie

Finding the right kind of music for my new office is interesting. A few observations:

Neighborhood. My immediate neighbors are often home, which means that anything with bass drum/bass will probably weep through the walls and disturb them. This means that piano music is perfect.

Shostakovich. Keith Jarrett's recordings of the preludes and fugues have been great in the new office. Tried some string quartets today--nope. Gotta be keyboard. I guess this means I can't play the opera Lady MacBeth of Mtsensk, which is one of my favs.

Bach.
I have more J.S. Bach recordings that you do. Whoever you are, this is true. I have a nice mix of modern piano (not period keyboard) performances that do nicely for office music. I adore the controversial Glenn Gould recordings, but they are not good for the office--they require [no, they DEMAND] your attention.

Satie.
Spun the curious Frenchman for a while today. Perfect.

No comments: