Saturday, November 29, 2008

Doc's Audio

There's no question that my love of audio gear, and probably music itself for that matter, comes from my Grandfather Owen "Doc" Rice. The relationship between my grandfather and me revolved around music--my mother still tells the story that he teared up with joy when he heard me whistle and carry a tune. Over the years, he and I talked about music constantly.

This post will be about his audio gear.

I also remember helping him fix (twice) a really crappy Tascam cassette deck toward the end of his life. It was one of those dual-well decks, bottom grade. A motor kept failing, and the guy at the local repair shop refused to fix it for him (doing him a favor, really). But he insisted that I find the part the guy needed, and so I did.

All the good stuff was left at his Grand Rapids home on Elmwood (or sold). He had a mid-grade Technics receiver in Grand Haven--it was hooked into some old Bozak speakers that were built into the cabinetry (existed in the home when he purchased). They were nice. His receiver on Elmwood was a early 60s vintage Fisher (that thing was sweet).

I can't be certain this was the exact model, but this 500B from an eBay listing is the exact look. I remember that thing! The blue lettering "THE FISHER" would glow behind the radio dial, and I can still see that bird flying with a musical note in its beak (see above).

I can picture the speakers he had in the living room and basement, but I don't know makes or models. His reel to reel deck was a Sony; I was not allowed to touch the old cassette deck (a Sony also, I believe). The turntable was actually on a high shelf, so I can't recall it exactly. I think it had a wooden case; might have been a Dual or BSR.



So a few of the tapes in the burned cases have my handwriting; I took his reel-to-reel deck at one time and fixed it, then transferred things to cassette. I also borrowed a deck to do the same thing later on; a few of the reel-to-reel transfers are things I should really look at: he told the story that some of them were bootleg recordings he copied from the across-the-street neighbor, Glenn Ferry, who shared his love of music. I don't remember Mr. Ferry, but I remember his house, his wife Mrs. Ferry who used to play with me, their Scottie-dog "Corky," and their huge console organ. Playing at Mrs. Ferry's house is what gave me my desire to get a Scottish Terrier.



Looking at this faceplate, I am certain this is the model. I recognize the switches, the split pots, and the green strength meter. I'd know that deck anywhere (and I haven't seen it in 30 years).

As warm as those tubes sound, this must be a pain in the ass piece of audio gear to own today.

No comments: