Wednesday, December 24, 2008

16 8tracks Mixes and Counting!


Hey, look at me: I now have 16 mixes uploaded to 8tracks. Many of these are recycled Muxtape mixes or previous mix CDs. Here's a list of what I have available on my 8tracks channel. The titles are hotlinks that will take you directly to the mixes. You can also click on the cover art to the right. (It's also possible to embed the mix player right here on a blog page; I do that sometimes, but I don't want to embed 16 mixes into this post).

No More Riots/World Up My Ass

This is a mashup of two Muxtape mixes of 80s hardcore: 7 Seconds, Bad Brains, Dead Kennedys, Circle Jerks, Misfits, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Butthole Surfers, Suicidal Tendencies... you get the picture. 50% come from the fantastic compilation Not So Quiet On The Western Front; the other 50% were just EPs and other stuff that I had back in high school. "Punk's Not Dead, No It's Not." PARENTAL ADVISORY--STRONG LANGUAGE.

Music For Your Tape Recorder

This is my MTC Challenge #3 mix from back in May. We called it the "Sweet Sixteen" challenge; make a 12 song mix of songs you were listening to at age 16. This mix has OMD, Joy Division, The Smiths, Buzzcocks, The Teardrop Explodes, The Undertones, and many others. Cover art is the LCD display from the JVC KD-D50 cassette deck I had as a 16 year old. For a cool video liner note thing, visit here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug_1F5MoHpc

MTC Secret Santa Mix 2008

Joshua organized a "Secret Santa" mix exchange for this holiday. He rounded up the old MTC gang and assigned us all secret santas. The theme was "guilty pleasures." My mix was given to Aaron, and it includes Bee Gees, Tupac, Jane's Addiction, K.C. and the Sunshine Band, Foghat, Thompson Twins, and Ace of Base and others.

Carrefour d'Afrique

A mix based on my college radio show (the first clip is actually a sample from one of my old air-check tapes). Great tracks from Tabu Ley Rochereau, Papa Wemba, Fela Kuti, Youssou N'Dour, Prince Nico Mbarga, and Cheb Khaled among others. I used to spin this stuff and dance my can off during my weekly radio show!

Pillow Mix

This is the second of two post-defeat mixes from 2005; again, I tried to select bands that were brand new to me and limit myself to tracks that were recorded post 2000. Two songs (Gorillaz and Caesars) were currently featured in iPod commercials. I love the frame of the same song by Capitol K (hence the un-original title for the mix). I Am Robot And Proud is a great name for a band. Other artists include Radio 4, Zero Zero, Call and Response, and Moving Units.

"Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben" (BWV 147)

J.S. Bach's church cantatas are among the most delicious musical experiences on offer for ANYONE. This cantata contains a famous melody you've heard before. If you like music, you'll love this dramatic, gorgeous piece from the architect of modern harmony. This is perhaps the best performance available, too. I don't care what you're into: rock, rap, metal, house, indie, whatever... J.S. Bach is the man!

G-Fab's Dark Side Mix

This thirteen-track mix was made to commemorate my decision to leave teaching and join "The Dark Side" by accepting a position as a dean. Thematically linked, these tunes range from 80s old-skool rap, to econo punk, to 70s Motown; from Japanese pop to Canadian retro-synth. There's also Welsh popcraft, vintage Radiohead, ZZ Top, DEVO, and a harp solo.

Black Postcards

This one got me started again. After losing the election in 2004, I challenged myself to make a mix of bands I had never heard before for my campaign staff. This mix includes Luna, Pinback, Film School, Earlimart, Bunkbed, AM/FM, The American Analog Set, and Simply Saucer. Lots of people like this mix (I've been gifting it for 4 years), and it got me back in the game. I often name mixes after a key track; I had fun making the cover art for this one.

1930s Old-Time Country

This is your introduction to Pre-WWII country music from the dawn of commercial recording (unless you already know this stuff, in which case, it's not). I absolutely love this music, and I want you to love it, too. Here are twelve deliciously-scratchy tracks including The Skillet Lickers, Earl Johnson, Dock Boggs, and Uncle Dave Macon. These records were very important in the old-time music revival. Fiddles and banjos are cool!

Mr. Monkey Suit

The monkey speaks his mind! Twenty two monkey songs by artists as diverse as Big Maybelle, Willie Dixon, Beastie Boys, Richard Thompson, and others. Real gems here from Don Ho, Rufus Thomas, Felix da Housecat, and Chuck Berry. Kicks off with a great track from The Plasmatics. Added three tracks today: Stones via request by Larry, Byrne via request from Todd, and Dave Bartholomew via request from Elvis Costello and Sly & Robbie.

Stockholm Syndrome

Made this mix as I prepared to visit my sister in Sweden last summer--12 great songs from Stockholm bands. There are some great surprises here; everyone I play this for loves it. Notable tracks by Shout Out Louds, The Concretes, Melody Club, The Hives, and Wired For Mono. Viktor and I actually went to hear bands one night, and the cover art is a photo I took at a Stockholm night club (notice the bikes on the roof?).

Two Parties Ending

Another MTC challenge mix: create a found poem using one lyric from each song of a 12-song mix. This mix actually yielded two usable poems. The music is good, too: The Kills, Wire, Television, Radiohead, The Stooges, and Stereolab all contribute to the poems. Cover art is a detail from the Siget Music Festival poster I photographed in the Stockholm subway.

Pale Shelter

One of numerous 80s mixes I have made recently for friends. This is a good one covering a number of the UK bands I really liked in high school circa '83-'85, including Buzzcocks, Squeeze, The Teardrop Explodes, The Passions, The Stranglers, XTC, Prefab Sprout, and others. This mix has mostly deep tracks. I like it.

G-Fab's Headphone Mix

This is a mix of 12 tracks that make use of "headphones" as a key trope in the lyrics. Here we see headphones as isolation, erotic connection, rescue, distance, place, sleep aid, punishment (only Dylan, right?), personal universe, and dance floor mantra. Artists include Bjork, Dylan, Ultravox. Beastie Boys, G Love, Joni Mitchell and others.

Very Well, Then...

A themed mix regarding "education," this was an MTC@MCC challenge from back in the Muxtape days. Many genres, but "Teachers" by Daft Punk and Soulwax serve as the framing device; the mushy center includes Rick Nelson, NRBQ, Modest Mouse, Sweet Honey and the Rock, and Pet Shop Boys. Get ready for class!

Mystery Party

My fist mix here on 8tracks. Begins with 80s Philly no-wave and includes XTC, LCD Soundsystem, Elvis Costello, Devo, and "Dad, I'm In Jail" by Was (Not Was). Todd loves this mix. "I Love A Man In Uniform" is just a great Gang of Four tune from their underrated Songs of the Free record. The cover art is from Lidsville.

No comments: