Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Hardcore Mixes Back Online


Punk's not dead, no it's not...
Punk's not dead, no it's not...
Punk's not dead, no it's not...

This is a mashup of two Muxtape mixes of 80s hardcore: 7 Seconds, Bad Brains, Dead Kennedys, Circle Jerks, Misfits, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Butthole Surfers, Suicidal Tendencies... you get the picture. 50% come from the fantastic compilation Not So Quiet On The Western Front; the other 50% were just EPs and other stuff that I had back in high school.

Note about the cover art: this was THE jacket in Detroit clubs in the 80s. The Misfits were huge, and the non-skinhead punks wore leather jackets like this one with the Misfits skull logo on them. Funny thing--the past two years of ski seasons in Utah, I have noticed that this logo is huge with the snowboard crowd. I asked a couple of the dudes wearing the logo on their jackets if they'd ever heard of The Misfits (some of the jackets even say the band name). None of them know the music. Hysterical.

All of these were part of my teenage soundtrack; nearly every track features the "F-word" or worse.* PARENTAL ADVISORY--STRONG LANGUAGE.





* I feel the need to state here that I do not advocate the killing of policemen, nor do I think it was a good thing that John Lennon was assassinated. Furthermore, I do not think it's funny to encourage small children to stick their heads into burning hot ovens or kill themselves if mom doesn't bring them a Pepsi. My parents struggled with this issue when I was a teenager, but I must re-state it here: most of this is ironic artistic license, not advocated social or political policy statement.

Original Playlists (tracks now in different order)

No More Riots

1. Killjoy - Rich Plastic People
2. Unaware - Race War
3. Millions of Dead Cops - The Only Good Cop...
4. Social Unrest - Their Mistakes
5. Karnage - The Few, The Proud, The Dead
6. Bent Nails - No More Riots
7. Impatient Youth - Praise The Lord & Pass The Ammunition
8. Dead Kennedys - A Child And His Lawnmower
9. Chruch Police - The Oven Is My Friend
10. Captiol Punishment - El Salvador
11. 7 Seconds - Fuck Your Amerika
12. Intensified Chaos - Intensified Chaos

World Up My Ass

1. Butthole Surfers - Suicide
2. Circle Jerks - World Up My Ass
3. Suicidal Tendencies - Institutionalized
4. Misfits - Sculls
5. Minutemen - Bob Dylan Wrote Propaganda Songs
6. Dead Kennedys - Religious Vomit
7. The Birthday Party - Big Jesus Trash Can
8. D.O.A. - Fucked Up Baby
9. Meatmen - 1 Down 3 To Go
10. Minor Threat - I Don't Want To Hear It
11. Bad Brains - Joshua's Song
12. Black Flag - I Don't Care

No comments: