Monday, December 8, 2008

Baby Advent Refoam


Enter G-Fab: Speaker Repairman.

I learned, with horror, that the foam surrounds on my Baby Advent IIs had decayed to the point of deterioration. Maybe that's why the Polks edged them out in my little shootout with Bill last Friday. eBay to the rescue--I bought a set of replacement foam for $20. And I get a cool workbench project, too! Fun! Above you see the surround before I went to work. Unacceptable! Click the photo to see a closer look at the rip in the foam.


Here you can see me going to town on the woofer frame to get the old adhesive off. I used an Exacto knife as a scraper on the paper cone; on the metal frame, I used a small wire brush with the Dremel. Sticky and smelly, but it worked.


Here are the woofers with the new foam in "dry fit" mode. Tomorrow night, I'll do the initial glue up on the cones. The fellow who sold these also sent adhesive and nicely-prepared directions. The whole thing will probably take 3 evenings.

I am also going to paint the pecan endcaps on these guys with black Rustoleum. I used that paint on the headstock of Mac's banjo, and it worked nicely. I tried to sand and re-stain one of the endcaps, but it looks like ass. Black will do nicely.

More photos of Mac's banjo project, which finished up about 12 months ago, are here.

2 comments:

GregSteimel said...

It would never occur to me to try to do this. Where'd you get the idea replacements would be available?

Some Guy said...

Heard of reconing for years, but never changing surrounds. Because I follow this particular model on eBay, I noticed that many had been replaced and had read about the foam rot problem.