Monday, December 8, 2008

Vintage G-Fab Basses

Pictures of me with basses past.

My Japanese 1962-Reissue Jamerson "Funk Machine." This wasn't a Jamerson model, but I set it up that way: LaBella flatwounds, funk filters, the whole nine. This thing had the "low hovering cloud" sound. This photo was taken about the time I was playing in a band called Trancemitter (played that bass on about 25% of the tunes, especially the drum-n-bass stuff).

Here's me with THE bass: my old 1964 J-Bass. This thing had been modded and refin'd so many times it was silly. Leo Quann BadAssII bridge, brass nut, EMG pickups, ebony fingerboard with snowflake inlays (yes, someone actually removed the Brazilian rosewood). No bass ever played better. I was rehearsing with the Mott Middle College Steel Drum Band (that's Andy in the photo). Sold it so I could go to Harvard for 2 weeks--true story.

John Slavo's fretless Ric. He ruined it, actually. Man, that thing looked cool. It was a 4003, I think. I remember that old Joy Division t-shirt. Dig the Thomas Dolby glasses (or John Lennon glasses, or whatever). That was freshman year at MSU. Hooky played a Ric, too.

Dad & Mart got me this Charvel/Jackson P-J bass for X-Mas in 1986. It didn't look like me, but it was a really nice bass. The active pickups sounded like EMGs and the bridge was a copy of LeoQuann. The unfortunate headstock was constantly poking people and it got stolen from my car in Lot 51 at MSU. Replaced it with a Mexican J-Bass and later traded it for the 1964. My first white bass--the rest of them were white.

1 comment:

Eljay said...

Awesome post -- the basses and faces of SR. Calls to mind the "Bass Talk" segments on the Bob & Tom Show. :)