Saturday, December 6, 2008

Secret Santa Mix

Joshua's doing a super-cool Secret Santa Mix/T-Shirt thing. Make a mix and buy a threadless t-shirt for your person. Gonna be fun. I'm listening to the draft of my mix, which must be on the "guilty pleasures" theme:
The mix theme (and this doesn’t have to be it, but I think this topic is rather fun) is Guilty Pleasures. That is, songs that we are kind of embarrassed we like. I know that some of us will respond by saying that "good music is nothing to be embarrassed about" (Robinson and Juchartz). Yes. Fine. But think of it as an “I-bet-you-didn’t-know-that-I-really-enjoy-these-songs" type of mix.
While making this mix, I have learned that I am not easily embarrassed. The mix has some fun and unexpected things on it. The frame is a pair of songs that were playing in a public place and I did not let on that I liked them.

In talking with Bill, I realized that I am more embarrassed by what I do not like. For example, I wish I enjoyed more Hip Hop or Contemporary Country. Just because I'm not a hood or a hick doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to get into this stuff.

I am liking this mix. My favorite mix is the one I am currently working on. I wonder who my person will be; should be loads of fun.

No comments: