Sunday, December 28, 2008

Jade Visions: The Bill Evans Trio (1959-1961)


Over the years, I have made so many compilation tapes of the legendary Bill Evans trio of 1959-1961 that I have lost count. It would be easy to put every track from the four Fantasy/Riverside records on this mix. I always had to limit myself to 90 minutes, so I'll try to do that here. Scott LaFaro and Paul Motain playing with Bill here. This is the trio that changed Jazz. This mix begins and ends with tunes written by LaFaro; both were performed about 10 days before he was killed in a car wreck at age 25.





NPR coined the term "driveway moment" to describe the experience of waiting in your car to finish a good radio story once you've reached your destination. The purchase and first playing of Portrait In Jazz (1959) was a "turntable moment" for me. I put it on and literally watched the vinyl spin on my JVC LE-600 turntable; I flipped it over and watched Side 2 spin as well. This record (and the 3 other Evans/LaFaro/Motain recordings) changed my life.