Sunday, November 9, 2008

Back to Making Mixes

Got my head into mix mode tonight. I'll make copies of this one for Philip, Kim, and Michele--not sure anybody else would really dig it (drop me a line if you want one, too). These are all pre-college UK tracks, stuff I really liked but didn't overplay. Unlike my last 80s mix, this one doesn't hold together as well historically. "Love On A Farmboy's Wages" has been running through my head for a couple of weeks. Funny--Mummer was never my favorite XTC record.

Pale Shelter
(another 80s mix)

"I'm jumbled up / Maybe I'm losing my touch"

  1. Don't Fall / Chameleons UK
  2. Something's Gone Wrong Again / Buzzcocks
  3. Rescue / Echo and the Bunnymen
  4. That's Entertainment / The Jam
  5. Points of View / Squeeze
  6. Pale Shelter / Tears for Fears
  7. Love On A Farmboy's Wages / XTC
  8. Julie Ocean / The Undertones
  9. I'm In Love With A German Film Star / The Passions
  10. Golden Brown / The Stranglers
  11. ...And The Fighting Takes Over / The Teardrop Explodes
  12. Don't Sing / Prefab Sprout
Some random thoughts about this mix:

I started and ended this mix with a frame of songs that have the word "Don't" in the title. Not sure why. There are more contractions than normal here. The Squeeze record Sweets From A Stranger has some really killer organ on it. It always seemed like such a "grown-up" record to me as a teenager. Still have that Passions EP on vinyl--what a great song! Crocodiles is my favorite Echo record. Julian Cope sounds so naked on that Teardrop Explodes track, which comes from the hard-to-find Wilder. I notice now that many of these tracks come from my pal Jimmy Goldberg's record collection. None of these tracks were super favorites of mine back then, but I think they all have staying power.

No comments: