Sunday, November 16, 2008

Keeping It Down

Okay, I'll admit it. I think of, care about, and fidget with some of the stupidest things you can imagine. For example, this evening I will be fiddling with two pairs of 1980s-vintage RadioShack headphones, both purchased on eBay for about $10. Why? Funny you should ask...

I just had an interesting insight about my entire life. Much of my life has been about "keeping it down." Specifically, I've struggled to keep the music that I play in a 12 x 12 room quiet enough so that I don't disturb others. Actually, it would be more accurate to say that I struggle to play the music just loud enough to not disturb others. In fact, this photograph I took of my stereo when I was a teenager illustrates the point well.



You can see some marks by the volume knob--the red one represents when the volume was loud enough to cause my mother to come tell me to turn it down. For some reason my grandfather had little pices of tape on his volume knob when I was a kid; I did the same with my rig for a very crucial purpose.

Back to those RadioShack headphones. Well, another thing my mom did to help me keep it down was gift me with these headphones. I got these as a gift before my parents split up. They are Realistic NOVA-30s. Nothing special, but they hold a lot of memories. My pair are long gone, but I found some on eBay for $10. But one of the speakers was missing, so I bought a similar model and will get all Frankenstein on them tonight. They were pretty cool with volume knobs on each ear. You can see Jack Black wearing the same pair in High Fidelity during the "I Just Called To Say I Love You" scene in the record shop. [That funny-looking bellows thing in front of him, incidentally, is a harmonica tester; what it's doing there, I don't know--must have looked cool to the props guys.]


No comments: