Saturday, November 29, 2008

Cleaning The Basement With My Dead Grandfather


Okay, it's not as weird as it sounds. I was crazy nuts about both my grandfathers, and both of them were into stereo equipment and making cassette tapes. I've got a bunch of tapes from both of them, and today I was cleaning the basement. I patched together a little rig to listen to the cassettes as I organized the basement; I also digitized a couple.

I started an 8tracks channel called "granddad" so I can post stuff there. That way I can share with my extended family.

I will code the mixes with their first names: Owen & Ken. The first mix is a funny one called "Variety Records & Radio." I'll post it tonight.

Update: Well, I ditched the old-school "hiss" of analog tape and switched to iPod. Just for fun, I ran the iPod through the old cassette deck. Sad discovery: the deck only records on the left channel (but it plays back on both and the meters work--which was the main reason I bought the thing.). So it's not a 100% functioning deck; what do you want for $9.95?

The thing is still useful to me: I can digitize old cassettes (could do that with my trusty Yamaha), and I can go down memory lane with the old LCD VU meters.

Been listening to Eno and Unholy Modal Rounders as I clean.

No comments: