Sunday, November 30, 2008

Garbage Audio

Literally.

I have saved three pairs of absolutely awful loudspeakers from the garbage. One was a pair of lowest-grade Sony speakers that Kathy had in her condo when we met (I knew I was comfortable in our relationship when I was able to tell her that they sucked--I waited until she asked, though). Another is a pair of Realistic speakers that, while they were junk to begin with, dropped to the floor and crushed around the cabinet edges. Finally we have a pair of Fisher speakers (similar to Doc's 1963 500B in name only) that our next door neighbor was going to junk after they failed to sell at a garage sale for $25/pr. All these are powered by a JVC integrated amp I bought on eBay for $14 (my JVC cassette deck is hooked up for good measure--it was $9).

I mounted these between the floor joists using available materials: a broken broom handle, hooks and screw eyes, and computer network cable and cable mounts left behind by the Dish Network guy. To hook them all together, I literally grabbed 25 feet of computer networking cable out of the trash and jerryrigged it into speaker wire by stranding two threads together for each terminal: (Brown = Right +, Orange = Right -, etc.). For these crappy speakers, this is just fine.






Truth be told, the speakers sound even worse up in the ceiling. But, it's not a listening room--this is a work room, and you get what you pay for, right? I wouldn't want any decent speakers down there. One caveat: with numerous speakers in the ceiling, the sound is complex, which can be interesting as you move around. That and the fact that the floorboards really shake with bass when you are playing it loud (brings lyrics from "Daft Punk Is Playing At My House" to mind: "I got everybody's PA at my house... ah, my house!").

No comments: