Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Arrival of Victor Feldman

Back in 1986, my bass teacher introduced me to the work of bassist Scott LaFaro. I remember buying a vinyl copy of Sunday At The Village Vanguard while home for Thanksgiving break. I stared at the record as it spun on my turntable; it's not dramatic to say that the way I listened to music was changed forever.

Later that term, Peter loaned me a cassette copy of the then-out-of-print The Arrival of Victor Feldman. My copy is around here somewhere, but right now I am listening to it on Rhapsody.

Feldman came back to me in a funny way--he plays vibes and organ on some of my favorite Tom Waits records.

Scotty was about 21 when he made this record. Right now I am listening to his solo on "Waltz," and it's just impossible for me to comprehend that kind of genius. Given the timing, this must have been recorded on his old plywood bass--he purchased the Prescott a year later, I think.

No comments: