Friday, June 6, 2008

Where do they get this stuff?

I'm super busy this am, so I can't stay and develop this thought. But I want to drop it here in case I have time to return to it.

Where do journalists get these ideas about the Obama candidacy? Kathy thinks they just need something to write about. There are some "ideas" or "topics" that just irk me:

  1. White Guilt. Oh God, where do I start? You will be hard pressed to find anyone more in touch with his whiteness or his guilt than yours truly. But the idea that whites (or egghead whites) are backing Obama out of guilt is absurd. I also think that's racist. Nobody ever said that my life-long devotion to Miles Davis was a white guilt thing. It's okay for whites to revere black musicians and athletes, but once we start admiring black politicians, we must be doing it to feel better about white privledge.
  2. Democrats are taking a gamble. Uh, yeah. We are. I am a former candidate and a veteran of many campaigns. You've never heard me say that electing a black man named Barack Obama was going to be easy. I just want to know who said it was anything but a gamble.
  3. Obama is no longer "post-racial." This is just stupid. Obama never was a post-racial candidate, and the entire concept is preposterous. Anybody who even wants a post-racial candidate doesn't understand race in America.
  4. Reverse racism. Kathy said this one best. The term "reverse racism" is code for "I am a racist." Ferraro's notion that white people can't say anything about race without being called a racist is... well, it's racist guys!

No comments: