Monday, June 16, 2008

Stockholm Syndrome

Stockholm Syndrome: 12 Swedish Bands
http://analog86.muxtape.com

Here's the Stockholm bands mix. Should be fun to listen to. We leave for Sweden two weeks from today (I can't wait to see my sister and her family!!!!). Not everything here is created equal, but I didn't have a real good way to sift through the choices. The band name Wired for Mono is so damn good that I can forgive the joke ending to this song, which is otherwise quite nice. This mix has a nice frame: "The Comeback" is a perfect opener, and I think that Hives tune "Well All Right!" works as a closer (its change-ups are a little odd, but fun). There are even a couple of tunes with "radio" in the title--always a plus for me!

There's some stuff here that I think Michele and Kim will really like, especially Lykke Li and The Knife (sounds like Lene Lovich* eh?). These Swedes know their 80s vibe; nice stuff. Some good piano rock with Diamond Dogs (do I hear some Alice Cooper and E Street in there?) and The Concretes. I'll wait a while to drop this over at MTC.

Playlist
  1. The Comeback / Shout Out Louds
  2. Jerk It Out / Caesars
  3. Radio Interrupt / Wired for Mono
  4. Down In The Alley Again / Diamond Dogs
  5. On The Radio / The Concretes
  6. The Chills / Peter Bjorn and John
  7. Heartbeats / The Knife
  8. Until I'm There / Tiger Lou
  9. Chrash / Melody Club
  10. Everybody But Me / Lykke Li
  11. Fragile / Kamera
  12. Well All Right / The Hives
There is something great about English-language pop music by singers whose first language isn't English (even if some of these singers speak better English than we do). Also, is there any doubt that Melody Club is from the country that produced Abba?

Final Thought: this mix could be skewed because of how I selected the tunes, but this is a great collection of band names.

G-Fab

* just Googled Lene Lovich and never knew she was born in Detroit.

2 comments:

Community College Historian said...

That Wired for Mono track is sweet. Good stuff!

Eljay said...

Nice mix, G! Enjoying it a lot... and btw, Lene Lovich is added to the 'Detroit Roll Call' post:

http://tinyurl.com/63grdb

;)