Saturday, May 2, 2009

Wireless is overrated

Back in the Diatribe days, I used to sign out a wireless unit for my bass rig every once in a while. It was cool to walk to the back of the room for soundchecks, but that was it's only real feature. I never remember it fritzing out on me, but I never felt tethered with a regular cord. And I moved around a lot as a player.

Today, my colleague Terrence sang at our commencement exercises. The dude has a great voice, and about 2 bars into "God Bless America" the dang wireless mic started cutting out on him. It was cutting out on the readers, too. Funny thing: they were about 2 meters away from the mixing board. Nothing wrong with that picture that a 50' xlr mic cable wouldn't fix!

1 comment:

Community College Historian said...

Ditto-- the mic cutting out during that song was criminal...