Monday, May 25, 2009

French & English Suites


My writing buddy for many years has been J.S. Bach. He nearly single-handedly got me through my Ph.D. dissertation (his music and my wife's encouragement/prodding). I'm on deadline for a project that's due one week from today, and my go-to soundtrack has been Bach's English Suites and French Suites. I've also been dialing up the Two and Three Part Inventions. The performances I've been spinning are part of the excellent Hännsler collection on my BachPod.

I just poked around to see who's been playing the French Suites for me these days--this is a piano version by Edward Aldwel; absolutely beautiful. Sadly, Mr. Aldwel died at age 68 as a result of an ATV accident while searching for his dog.

I also took the opportunity to find the data disc information from the complete Bach and load it onto the BachPod. This will come in handy. The photo of Mr. Aldwell comes from the liner notes. Nice to have all that stuff on hand. I take the BachPod to work every day; it lives in my desk drawer connected to my work PC, which is connected to my modest office hi-fi (HeadRoom Total BitHead D/A converter; NAD 310 integrated amp; Polk Audio Monitor 4s).

No comments: