Sunday, January 4, 2009

G-Fab The Roadie

I can't think of a better way to end the Christmas break than to play roadie to a rock 'n roll priest.

Fr. George dropped off his broken guitar case today. Coming off the end of a guitar buying spree, he needed a slight repair to this case for his Washburn electric guitar (dual humbuckers, cool piece, really).

Back to the repair. One of the side panels had split down the middle; any guitar of moderate weight would be able to exit stage right without too much bother. Here's a photo of the broken side panel and the first stage of my repair:



That's a piece of slightly warped plywood I've kept in the shop (it used to be part of a Hammond speaker enclosure I built and the un-built). I've been keeping it around for just this sort of thing. The next photo shows some good clamping going on (you know that old woodworker mantra: "you can never have too many clamps"). At any rate, here's the final repair:

Looks better than I thought it would. I warned George that it would be sturdy yet ugly, and he was already picking out bumper stickers to plaster on it. You've got to love any problem that can be fixed for $10 in only 40 minutes of your time.
  • Remove corner protectors
  • Remove busted panel
  • Neatly trim tolex covering
  • Buy Gorilla Glue and Tape
  • Cut plywood to fit
  • Rasp the edges for a smooth fit
  • Gorilla Glue (verb)
  • Drill and screw new panel with extra-long, extra-skinny screws
  • Gorilla Tape (verb)
  • Replace corner protectors
  • You're Gorilla Done!

This project was a confidence builder! I felt like Harry Tuttle (played by Robert DeNiro) in Brazil: "I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble." Ha!

One of my favorite scenes:




No comments: