Saturday, October 4, 2008

Walking to Work

Before Kathy and I got married, I lived very close to work. Using an online map tool, I now realize that my house was just under one mile from the College. I often walked to work or rode my bike. Being honest, I drove much more often than I should have--mostly because I had to leave campus for something or go to a meeting after work.

Well, I have been doing this bike/bus commute thing. And it occurred to me that the downtown bus stop might not be too much further from the College than my old house was. As it turns out, they are almost identical walks.

What does that mean? Well, no excuse for not taking the bus... even when the weather turns bad. Rain and snow might be a drag, but cold should be no problem. So how about it. Get up, check your schedule and the Weather Channel, then do the bus route.

I could do more iPod stuff. Podcasts and the like.

SR

4:53 p.m.

Just had a realization that makes me feel stupid. When I first moved to Flint, I moved into an apartment building downtown. It was on the corner of Wallenberg and Second St. directly across from the bus station. Repeat for emphasis: directly across from the bus station. I almost never drove to work when I lived there (getting my car out of the carport was actually kind of tough).

I should ride the bus more often. A lot more often.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My walk to work includes climbing a fence. Now that's dedication... or something.

78rpm said...

lol - I used to walk two miles to junior high school (back when those still existed) by taking the railroad tracks. Three days out of five we got lucky and could hop onto a passing freight train.

That'd be a violation of the Homeland Security Act today, I hear.... :(