Friday, October 3, 2008

Thanks for all the tunes!


This is an appreciation post for my pals who constructed "motorcycle mixes" for me last month. Click here for pictures and details about the trip. As I posted earlier, I rented a 750-pound iPod for my Utah trip. It was fairly cool to have music on the motorcycle; for most music, the fidelity was decidedly Close 'N Play (and if you don't know what that means, you're making me feel really old!). I didn't have time to make mixes for myself, so I just had a few random mp3 discs with decent motorcycle music: Led Zeppelin and The Meters topped the list (I have fond memories of opening up the throttle while listening to "Kashmir," "Trampled Under Foot," "Afrika," and "Here Comes The Meter Man."

Highlights from the Great Mixes by Larry, Philip, and Kim

  • Leaving Moab early on a chilly morning, I was traveling behind my Dad thinking how wonderful it was to be doing this again when "The Boys Are Back In Town" came on.
  • Turning onto the Bicentennial Highway as "Switching to Glide" poured out of the speakers--I laughed so hard, I nearly fell off the bike.
  • Passing one of the few 55 mph speed limit signs (most roads are 70 mph or 75 mph in Utah) as "I Can't Drive 55" came on. Fantastic, Larry!
  • Climbing altitude in the Cedar Breaks National Monument during near-peak fall color to the dramatic sound of Jimmy Eat World. Deeply moving for some reason. Awesome, Philip--thanks!.
  • Leaving the uncomfortably-upscale town of Springdale in Zion National Park at 25 mph as Deee-Lite's "World Clique" boomed from the bike; got plenty of looks from the touristas. BTW, plenty of Obama signs in Springdale--the only place in UT I saw them anywhere.
  • Zooming past the LDS church in Toquerville just as the Utah Saints started chanting their name and representing. Another FOTBLAO (Falling Off The Bike Laughing My Ass Off) moment. Great mix, Kim!
There were many more, but I can instantly put myself back in these particular moments (and I think I represented all three of your mixes). Thanks again--it really was cool to have your music with me.

No comments: