Friday, October 24, 2008

Lost in Ann Arbor (and Sleeve Face)


It's true. I always get lost when I go to Ann Arbor. There is something about the place that jams my radar, gets me turned around. Todd and I saw the David Byrne show, which was... amazing. It was like the Wayback Machine. Seriously, the subtitle of the concert could have been "Steve & Todd's Favorite Talking Heads Songs." Three of my favorite records are Remain In Light, Fear of Music, and Speaking In Tongues. He played "I Zimbra," "The Great Curve," "Air." Lots more.

This was the second show of the tour, and I think you're gonna read about it. It was mostly Eno-produced 'Heads songs, not just the Byrne/Eno collaborations. He played a couple of great tunes from My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts, another one of my favorites. The new songs were good, too. But a good part of the show sounded mighty like the film Stop Making Sense. He even played "Burning Down the [Freakin'] House."

There were dancers and backup singers. It rocked and it was funky. You're gonna hear about this, because it was the closest thing to a Talking Heads show that there has been in 25 years.

Saw Frank from the Art department there.

Before I met Todd, I killed time at Border's. I looked at a fantastic book. The idea behind the book is explained in the video below.



I have no brilliant thoughts about the election or your 401(k). It was great to jam like it was 1983 tonight. I'll sign off with one of my favorite lyrics: "Some people don't know shit about the air." So there.

1 comment:

GregSteimel said...

One of the best shows ever!! Asked my SF friend if he can take a look for a copy of the show.

Speaking of shows, the PBS show I had in mind (a NOVA not a Independent Lens) was about Mark Everett of the EELs and his father Hugh.

It's here.