Monday, June 8, 2009

What Made My Hamburger Disappear?


...that's one of my favorite lyrics from Have Moicy!, a fantastic country rock record like no other. In the car just now (I'm not driving--home now, so don't worry) my mind started racing back in time with a rush of food memories. Not sure why that happened. There were so many. More than a few were hamburgers, so I thought I'd dump them out here.
  • Mr. Fables in Grand Rapids, MI. Now closed, this burger joint was a favorite of my grandparents. I can still see the little stainless steel tray with catsup, mustard, and relish. I love sweet relish on hamburgers.
  • Burger King. My first real job (apart from being a summer messenger in my Dad's law firm) was working at Burger King. I worked at one far from my town because I didn't want to see anyone from school. As a teenager, my favorite meal was two double cheeseburgers, onion rings, a Coke and a strawberry shake.
  • Clyde's Drive-In, Sault St. Marie. I made several solo trips to The Soo while I was on the MEA Board of Directors. I loved to head over to Clyde's for a burger--some of the best ever.
  • Five Guys. I have written about this wonderful DC-area burger joint here before; Brian Williams and President Obama got in on the action last week.

No comments: