Sunday, June 7, 2009

Chaskinakuy


I love music from the Andes, but this out-of-print cassette is my favorite. I am digitizing it right now so I can gift it to bill. Looks like a CD is in the works. It's 21 years old!!!

I have listened to this tape soooooo many times, but it's been a while since I've had a tape deck hooked up for general listening. I also gifted this to many people over the years. It's going to be cool to have a CD/iPod version of it.

Track Listing

  1. Sumapuni
  2. Negra del Alma
  3. Chriris Aymara
  4. Kamayu Salasaco
  5. Juan Careno
  6. Recuerdos de Calahuayo
  7. Sara
  8. Chaska Lucero
  9. Panchita/Amorosa Palomita
  10. Lamento/Urpichallay
  11. Akuchimay
  12. Mam Victoria
If I were being a purist about the digital conversion, I should have gone to WAV format before I did any noise filters, etc. This is good enough.

So it was Chris Reitz, then called The Regent of Records, who introduced me to this tape. He knew Edmond Badoux, one of the co-founders of Sukay. He left to form this outfit and made this lovely tape that hat been a friend of mine for over two decades.

Below is a shot of Chris playing a Gibson harp guitar in 1987, just a couple of years before I worked there. The other guy is Brian Hefferan--both former co-workers of mine. They both still work there!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there! I'm a long-time friend of Chaskinakuy, and a former student of theirs. In fact, I was taking lessons from them when they recorded this cassette. Unfortunately, as you may have observed, the CD version of this recording never came to fruition. I talked to them about it about 4 years ago, and they said that they had the masters transferred to DAT, but that it wasn't enough material to fill a CD, and they didn't think anybody would buy it if they re-released it. They have long-since sold out of the cassettes, and my copy disappeared in one of my many moves in the years since. I was wondering if you had any facility to digitize this for the sake of posterity. I have a few other Andean musician friends here in the Bay Area who would love this as a reference. Edmond and Francy just moved to Switzerland, and we played a couple of shows with them in the lead-up to their voyage. Given that they're now on another continent and don't own a DAT deck, I don't think I'll be able to get it from them any time soon.