Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Joshua Challenge!


What's with all the changes
Since the time I was aware?

It's like the apple eating people
That we once were aren't there

Did they empty out their pockets
And debase their younger faces?

And you must make sure you're happy
When you leave your summer places.
*


So, Joshua issued a mix challenge to Eljay and me. Seems simple enough: make a mix you think both the other two people in the trio will like. That means no Velvet Underground or Modest Mouse (probably no Daft Punk or banjo either). He used the following rules:
It's pretty simple really. See if you can make a mix, 8-tracks rules, that both of the others would like. We have some similar tastes, but not completely. 12 tracks.
I added a twist for myself: only use stuff you can find on 8tracks. Cool--I've been wanting to make a mix of other people's stuff on 8tracks for a while. There is more saxophone here than I would have expected. This is actually my 24th 8tracks mix! Here's what came out:

Joshua/Larry
  1. Funtime / Iggy Pop
  2. Subterranean / David Bowie
  3. I Found Out / John Lennon
  4. Wake Up / Arcade Fire (live w/ David Bowie)
  5. Grass / Animal Collective
  6. Losing My Edge / James Murphy
  7. U.R.A. Fever / The Kills
  8. I Know What Boys Like / The Waitresses**
  9. Everybody Knows / Leonard Cohen
  10. Glisoli / Sigur Ros
  11. I Love You Like A Madman / The Wave Pictures
  12. Wolf Like Me (Rob Da Bank Session) / TV On The Radio




* Lyrics from Track #5. This song thrills and beguiles me every time I hear it.

** I could not get this song out of my head as I searched for songs that these two boys would like; against my better judgment, I decided to put it on the mix. Might cost me some points.

Oh, and the photo is a famous one by my favoritest photographer, Diane Arbus. I've loved her since before I had a driver license. In fact, this photo of a boy with a toy hand grenade was on my dorm room door freshman year. Next to it was a notepad that said "Press hard--you are making three copies."

Below is Joshua's Mix:
  1. In One Ear / Cage The Elephant
  2. The Seeker / The Who
  3. Mr. Brownstone / Guns N' Roses
  4. Gold for Bread / Blitzen Trapper
  5. In Step / Girl Talk
  6. Papa's Got A Brand New Bag / James Brown
  7. Cinnamon Girl / Neil Young & Crazy Horse
  8. Ashes to Ashes / David Bowie
  9. Here On My Own / U.N.P.O.C.
  10. Kiss Me, Son of God / They Might Be Giants
  11. Sober / Tool
  12. Bird on a the Wire / Leonard Cohen
NOTES: I did not consciously copy him with the Leonard Cohen and Bowie. Honest. Also, Cinnamon Girl is my most favoritest Niel Young song. I also very much like Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy, which is the source of that Who track (last song on side 1). This mix gets 10 points from me (The Guns N' Roses and Tool just didn't do it for me).

No comments: