Monday, June 8, 2009

Old Notebooks ca. 1986

In my basement filing cabinet I had several spiral notebooks from college. Most of them have 10-12 pages of class notes and then more than 100 blank pages. A few have odd, embarrassing, and terrible personal scrawlings about feelings, plans, girls, and other stuff. I wisely threw these away just now.

I ripped out a few amusing pages for the purposes of recording contents here just for giggles.

A list
Hi Doug!
Went to EL-EZ
See you soon!
--Steve

72 Kawasaki
500cc 3 cylander [sic] 2 stroke
  • transfer title
  • get insurance
  • register, get plates
  • find parking
  • can Kevin keep it around till the 20th?
  • airport parking
  • 530 price
  • 50 insurance
  • 20 sales tax
  • 100 new tire
  • 520 total
Karen;
Here's that This Mortal Coil album I was telling you about.
You can't do this this way.

List of bassists in my handwriting:
  • Scott LaFaro
  • Charlie Haden
  • Gary Peacock
  • Oscar Pettiford
  • Nils Henning Orsted Pedderson
  • Richard Davis
  • David Izenson
  • Eddie Gomez
  • Paul Chambers
  • Jimmy Blanton
  • Ron Carter
  • Charles Mingus
  • Seymour Butts (HA!)*
*someone else's handwriting

Just so your [sic] not conused, this is from Steve R. the bus boy. Return it whenever your [sic] done with it. The Steely Dan is great. I'll have that back to you soon. Thanks! --SJR

Dear Mr. Phillips--
As you recall, Sept. 12 was my last day at Hershel's for the summer. I am now neatly tucked away at college and have no way to pick up what may be left of my pay. If you would please tuck my check into the S.A.S.E. enclosed I would be greatly helped. You have my permission (if indeed you need it) to sign the little yellow pad for me.
Have a great year--thanks again for all your help over the summer. Please convey my appretiation to Kim, Karen and Mr. Carey as well.
Sincerely Thank you,
Steve R.

Things We Need
  • Ladder
  • Light bulbs
  • Extention cords
  • Milk crates
  • Coat hooks
  • Cork Board

  • 2 parachute pants
  • 2 blue jeans
  • 1 OD pleated pants
  • 3 Eddie Bauer
Sept 3 Tips

30.00+12.00+4.00+10.00+1.75+7.25+3.70=68.70

  • 3.70 loose dimes
  • 7.25 loose quarters
  • 1.75 loose nickels
  • 2 nickle rolls
  • 2 dime rolls
  • 3 quarter rolls
  • 12 singles

No comments: