Thursday, March 5, 2009

Speaker Re-Foam Test



So, Todd came to visit and we had a blast. He met the new dog, ate Thai food, and helped me help Owen with his homework. We went to the basement to do some A/B comparisons on some bookshelf speakers. In addition to being one of my oldest pals in the world (and 33% of the readership of this blog), Todd shares my love for the Baby Advent II loudspeaker. Don't buy new bookshelf speakers when you can grab a pair of these Babies on eBay for $40!!

Todd and I recently re-foamed the woofers on pairs of Baby Advent IIs. Mine went better than his, mostly because I had a better kit to work with. We listened to the two re-foamed pairs and determined mine the winner. Then we had a contest between mine and a totally-mint-condition-and-great-sounding pair of Baby Advent IIs he purchased recently. Todd's minty pair beat out mine, but it was close.

It was fun. I miss hanging around with Todd. Cool guy.

Oh, and it was a great excuse to spin some vinyl. We listened to Speaking in Tongues (pictured), a newish LCD Soundsystem 12" single, Buzzcocks, Pete Shelley's very odd 1981 solo record Homosapien, Lennon's Plastic Ono Band (brilliant!), and Bill Evans' Sunday At The Village Vanguard.

Todd also hooked his iPhone to the thing and played Arctic Monkeys for me--they are great!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I had a great time Steve! Listening to the Grados at work. Hope my co-workers don't mind the lack of noise isolation these cans have. We don't do cubes at ePrize.

Someone doesn't like the Arctic Monkeys!

Former Depeche Mode keyboardist Alan Wilder, describing the current state of the music industry in an article for Side-Line magazine, used the Arctic Monkeys as an example in his criticism of the use of dynamic range compression in modern recording techniques, calling the song I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor, "a bombardment of the most unsubtle, one-dimensional noise."