Sunday, March 1, 2009

Diabolical Bass Plans


Well, I've been playing that Squier 60s Vibe for a while. I think it might have the makings of a perfect gig bass. A perfect gig bass:
  1. Is worth less than $500.
  2. Would not induce stomach pains or tears if it were stolen, broken, etc.
  3. Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.
  4. Plays great.
  5. Sounds great.
  6. Looks great.
I'm going to toy with the thing just for giggles. Maybe refinish the neck and put the older decal on (I purchased a decal just like the one on my '64, which was also not original to the instrument). I'll knock down the finish on the chrome parts with circuit board etching. Maybe sand down the poly on the body. Poly might even be a better finish for a gig bass, except it might be heavy.

Opinion: anyone who tells you that the finish (i.e. nitro vs. poly) makes a tonal difference on an electric guitar is full of it. Nitro is cooler, no question--but that's not about tone.

Phase II will be to make it the perfect gig bass. That means USED LeoQuann Badass II bridge (going rate seems to be $60 or so on eBay), and used P/J EMG pickups. I'll need to make a custom pickguard and rout the wells for the pickups.

The P/J thing is something I would never have done to my '64--that's another quality of a gig bass--no fear of making mods.

No comments: