Sunday, March 29, 2009

Fr. George Gave Me A Guitar!

He really did! He had two of these, and this one had a crack in the neck. He took it to Elderly and had Steve Olson fix it--Steve and I used to be in a band together. I've never been an electric guitar player, but this one will be fun to play with.





I haven't owned an electric guitar since I was 20 years old! Back then, I had a Squier strat copy, and if I were buying one for myself I'd get a strat-style guitar with 3 single-coil pickups. Or I'd get some kind of jazz archtop; this Hamer is more like a Les Paul/Les Paul Jr. Gibson-type; big frets, dual humbuckers.

I just pulled this Radiohead out of my head and threw it up here. Thanks for the guitar, George!

NOTE: I went back and listened to "Airbag" and wow! I think I nailed that. Pretty sure it's the same key and everything. I rush it a little bit, but that is essentially the sound. Playing with this guitar will be fun; I've never really tried to play electric guitar. This thing has a pretty nice clean sound, too--maybe I could get some jazz guitar videos and learn Barney Kessell type stuff. But it might also be fun to learn enough rock and roll stuff to start making tunes in GarageBand or something. I never really have been a songwriter.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a special love/hate for my friend Steve and his ability to pick up anything and play.

Some Guy said...

I have a special love for my friend Todd who pays me compliments about things that I'm not too secure about myself. Seriously--that's as far as I got on this song (or will ever get...). Thanks, though, man. Let's get together soon.