Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Dr. and Mrs. Owen A. Rice

So, this temporary bachelor is going through his mother's boxes in the garage. Here's a photo of my grandparents, Owen and Betty Rice, on graduation day from medical school. Despite the fact that my grandmother finished (and, according to my grandfather, got him through) medical school, she only practiced for a short while and didn't go by the title "Dr." I love this photo of them in their doctoral gowns in Kirksville, MO when they both became Osteopathic physicians in the 1930s.

In the 30s, my Mom's dad went to Michigan State College. My other grandfather didn't go to college (he did, however, get an honorary degree from Grand Valley State College and served on their governing board; there's even a dorm there named after him!). I remember arguing with my grandfather about the campus. He claimed to have lived in Wells Hall. I knew Wells hall was built in the 50s or 60s. Turns out we were both right. My grandfather lived in the 2nd Wells Hall. The first one was built in 1877 and burned down in 1905; the one my grandfather lived in was built in 1907 and destroyed in 1966.



No comments: