Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A Mix for Clark


No shindig is half complete
Without that famous polka beat
That's why they invite me, I suppose.



  1. A Night On Earth / Brave Combo
  2. Innocent When You Dream (78) / Tom Waits
  3. Nantes / Beirut
  4. Don't Sit On My Jimmy Shands / Richard Thompson
  5. Fortress / Pinback
  6. Wheels / The Shaggs
  7. Just Like A Drummer / The Wave Pictures
  8. When Harpo Played His Harp / Jonathan Richman
  9. Gypsy Queens / Balkan Beat Box
  10. Strange Overtones / Brian Eno & David Byrne
  11. Purple / Ken Nordine
  12. Start Wearing Purple / Gogol Bordello
Clark came by today wearing purple and talking gypsy punk. How can you have a bad day when that happens? So this is an occasion mix, loosely based on a short music conversation about polka, gypsy punk, and purple dress shirts. I love it that Ken Nordine makes an appearance here.

It's also fun when I can put The Shaggs on a mix. Oh, I love The Shaggs!

My buddy Bill didn't have a good day today, so this mix goes out to him, too. And he's the one who hipped me to Gogol Bordello in the first place! Oh, and he also introduced The Wave Pictures.

I didn't know what a purple nurple was when I titled this mix. But it's a drink, too, so mix yourself one of these and spin my new mix! (And keep your hands to yourself!)

Purple Nurple Recipe
  • 1 oz Malibu® coconut rum
  • 1 oz triple sec
  • 1/2 oz Blue Curacao liqueur
  • 2 oz cranberry juice

No comments: