Tuesday, April 28, 2009

With Apologies to Chelsea

Now, that's a good title for something: "With Apologies to Chelsea."

This is the analog mix, inspired by my adolescent obsession with cassette tapes, records, radio and record stores. So one of the things Joshua and I have talked about is that mix tapes rarely come back to you--they are gifted out and you hardly ever see them again. I've often thought, however, that someone sees them again. Enter the mix tape I will write about now: "My Girl Chelsea."

I just returned from cleaning out my mom's condo. She let a young woman named Chelsea live there for a while, and she left a wooden box of cassette tapes. Checked with Mom's boyfriend, and Chelsea is long, long gone. Never coming back. No way to get her these tapes. This mix was a birthday present dated Feb. 3, 2000. We can guess this was a present from her friend "A----," who signed rather than spelled his/her name.

"My Girl Chelsea--[star] 24"

Side A: Country/Blues
  1. Leadbelly / Nobody Better Than Us
  2. Bob Dylan / Oxford Town
  3. Beau Jocque / Don't Tell Your Mama, Don't Tell Your Papa
  4. Lou Ann Barton / Shake Your Hips
  5. Billy Joe Sharer / Georgia on a Fast Train
  6. Bobby Blue Bland / Turn On Your Love Light
  7. Dusty Springfield / Breakfast In Bed
  8. Mark O'Connor, YoYo Ma, and Edgar Meyer / Chief Sitting in the Rain
  9. Geechie Wiley / Last Kind Words Blues
  10. Townes Van Zandt / Ain't Leaving Your Love
  11. Ike Turner / Matchbox
  12. D.L. Menard / The Back Door
  13. Dorothy Love Coates / 99 and 1/2
  14. Terry Binion / Locomotive
  15. Nina Simone / I Want A Little Sugar In My Bowl
  16. June Carter Cash / The L&N Don't Stop Here Anymore
  17. Jason Morphew / Badass with a Heart of Gold
Side B: Home Grrls Side
  1. Missy Misdemeanor Elliott / Beat Biters
  2. Missy Misdemeanor Elliott / Busa Rhyme (w/ Eminem)
  3. Eve / Gotta Man
  4. Macy Gray / Caliguila
  5. Missy / All N My Grill
  6. Missy / We Did It
  7. Macy / Sex-O-Matic Venus Freak
  8. Santana & Lauren Hill / Do You Like the Way
  9. Macy Gray / I Try
  10. Eve / Love Is Blind
  11. Macy Gray / A Moment To Myself

No comments: